Switzerland is not only famous for its marvelous mountains and lakes, delicious chocolate and good cheese, it is also known for having some of the best universities in the world.
Switzerland have earned many Nobel prizes in many fields, and it is internationally recognized by offering high quality study programs. It is a dream destination for most international students. However, the only inconvenient thing about Switzerland is the living expenses. Living in Switzerland is pretty expensive compared to other countries in Europe. Students are therefore looking for funding sources like scholarships.
Every year, Swiss government and Swiss universities are offering scholarships for international students who seek to continu their studies there.
The following government excellence scholarship is offered by the Swiss confederation to international students in order to promote international exchange and research collaboration between Switzerland and other countries.
The chosen candidates are selected by the federal commission for scholarships for foreign students, and it’s dedicated to foreign young researchers who have completed a master’s degree or Ph.D. As well as foreign artists who hold a bachelor’s degree.
- Host Country: Switzerland.
- Type: Fully Funded.
- Deadline: the application deadline varies according to the country (Check official website below).
The award covers the following expenses:
- Research fund.
- Monthly stipend of chf1,920.
- Housing allowance (chf300).
- Free accommodation.
- Health insurance.
- Full tuition fees waiver.
There are two types of scholarships; Art scholarships and Research scholarship.
The Art scholarships target art students who want to have a master’s degree at any Swiss university of the arts or conservatory. However, the scholarship in only open to students from a specific number of countries.
On the other hand, the research scholarship is open for post-graduate researchers in any discipline who want to pursue their research or further studies at the doctoral or post-doctoral level in Switzerland.
Before applying to the research scholarship, candidates should be first selected by an academic mentor at one of the following institutes: All Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences, and the two federal institutes of technology.
The selection is based on the following criteria:
- Applicant’s profile.
- The quality of the artistic work or the research project.
- Synergies and potential for further research collaboration.
- Candidates who were staying in Switzerland for more than one year at the start of the scholarship in September are not qualified.
- Candidates must furnish a letter from an academic host professor, where he explain why is she/he willing to support and supervise the research. The professor’s short CV should be provided as well.
- Candidates must have a research proposal that includes a time frame.
- Applicant who has already profited from this award are not eligible to apply again.
Required Documents to Apply for the Swiss Excellence Scholarships:
- A signed fcs application form with photos.
- A full curriculum vita with a list of academic publications, awards, etc.
- A motivation letter of max. 2 pages.
- A complete research proposal of max. Pages, using exclusively the fcs research proposal form, it must be signed.
- 2 letters of recommendation from two different professors.
- Copies of credentials, grade sheets and diplomas with grades from previously attended universities.
- The fcs health certificate form signed.
- 2 copies of the applicant’s passport.
Applicants need to send these documents to their local Swiss country embassies.
- The deadline varies from country to country but it’s between September and December.
For more details, visit the official website HERE.