Established in 1636 in the Netherlands, the Utrecht University is an old research university that is recognized internationally for its innovative, high-quality approach to research and teaching.
For the academic year 2021-2022, the Utrecht University offers about 25 Utrecht Excellence Scholarships to international outstanding students coming from countries outside the European Union, who seek to take up a postgraduate study program at the university.
This scholarship is for the duration of the degree program, and it is funded by the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, that is established by Utrecht University and by the contributions of the Utrecht University alumni.
- Host University: The Utrecht University.
- Host country: Netherlands.
- Study Level: Masters.
- Scholarship Type: Tuition award.
- Scholarship Worth: 11,000 euro living expenses.
- Eligible Countries: International.
- Application deadline: 31 January 2021 (23:59 CET)
Scholarship value and benefits:
The scholarship covers tuition fees or tuition fees plus 11.000 euro living costs.
As this is not automatically a full scholarship, students may have to find additional funding that will help them finance their studies. Applicants who will be requiring a residence permit in the Netherlands will have to prove to the Immigration and Naturalisation Office (IND) that they have sufficient financial means.
To be qualified for the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship, the students have to meet the following criteria:
- Students must be among the top 10% of their graduating class;
- Applicants must provide an official document issued by their university that proves they belong to the top 10% of their graduating class (reference letter, a statement signed and stamped by the University, a class ranking certificate, etc).
- Applicants must not hold an EU/EEA passport;
- Applicants must be not qualified for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans;
- Applicants must have completed their high school and/or Bachelor degree outside the Netherlands;
- Applicants must have applied for an eligible international master’s program in The Utrecht University that will start on 1 September 2021.
- Applicants need to check www.uu.nl/masters to see if the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship is mentioned as a scholarship opportunity;
- Applicants must meet the conditions to obtain a Dutch visa/residence permit.
The selections are made based on academic excellence and promise in the proposed area of study, the relevance of the motivation letter for the Master’s program, and the quality of the master’s application itself.
How to apply:
- After submitting an application for the Master’s program, students outside the the European Economic Area will have the option to submit an application for a UES from 1 November.
- If the applicant didn’t submit an application for a master program available at the university, his/her application for the scholarship will be deleted.
- After applying for the master’s program, applicants can go to the Osiris Online Application and log in using their Osiris Username and password, click on New application” and answer the scholarship questions and submit their application.