Established in 1970, VLIR-UOS, the Flemish Interuniversity Council is a public utility foundation that aims to improve mutual understanding between universities that are looking for solutions to global and local challenges.
International Master programs are accredited master’s program consisting of 1-2 years on a topic that is related to or specific to sustainable developments. These master programs are all taught in English and are available at one of the Flemish Universities that are ranked in the top best in Europe.
VLIR-UOS provides scholarships to students from eligible countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America who are interested and want to follow one of the selected 15 ICPs at a Flemish university or university college in Belgium.
- Host country: Belgium.
- Host university: Flemish university, Belgium.
- Scholarship Type: Tuition award.
- Scholarship level: Postgraduate.
- Scholarship Worth: Full funding.
- Eligible Countries: International.
- Application deadline: Between 16 January and 1 March 2021.
- Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Guinea, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Cameroon, Kenya, Mali, Morocco, Madagascar, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Senegal, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, South Africa, Niger.
- Asia: Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia.
- Latin America: Bolivia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Haiti, Cuba, Peru.
Eligible Subject Areas and application deadline:
One-year master programs:
- Master of Human Settlements (KU Leuven) : Application Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Master of Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies (KU Leuven): Application Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Master of Development Evaluation and Management (University of Antwerp): Application Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Master of Governance and Development (University of Antwerp): Application Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Master of Globalization and Development (University of Antwerp): Application Deadline: 01/02/2021
Two-years master programs:
- Master of Science in Food Technology (KU Leuven, Ghent University): Application Deadline: 01/02/2020
- Master of Water Resources Engineering (KU Leuven, VUB): Application Deadline: 01/02/2020
- Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (VUB, Ghent University, University of Antwerp): Application Deadline: 01/02/2020
- Master of Statistics (University of Hasselt): Application Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Master of Epidemiology (University of Antwerp): Application Deadline: 01/03/2021
- Master in Sustainable Development (KU Leuven): Application Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Master of Agro- and Environmental Nematology (Ghent University): Deadline online application: 03/01/2021 – deadline hard copies: 16/01/2021
- Master of Rural Development (Ghent University): Deadline online application: 21/02/2021 – deadline hard copies: 28/02/2021
- Master of Aquaculture (Ghent University): Application Deadline: 01/03/2021
- Master of Transportation Sciences (University of Hasselt): Application Deadline: 01/02/2021
- Applicant should be a citizen of one of the 31 eligible countries.
- Age: the maximum is 35 for an initial master program and 45 for an advanced master.
- Priority is given to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, governments, research institutes, the social economy. However, candidates employed in the profit sector or freshly graduated without any work experience may as well be eligible for the scholarship depending on their profile and motivation.
- Candidates working in a university where VLIR-UOS already fund IUC, TEAM, or SI projects, can be eligible to receive an ITP-ICP scholarship if they explain the reason for their application and why the participation at the master’s program can’t be funded as part of the existing IUC, Team or SI program or project funds.
VLIR-UOS only provides full scholarships for the duration of the master program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must check if they meet the eligibility requirement, if that’s the case, they must take a look at the selected master programs, visit the official website of the university that organize the master they are interested in, and apply for admission to the program and the scholarship.
Applicants can only apply for one master’s program per year.